Monday, November 19, 2007

The Tattoo Issue


Well, I have been doing the hard think about a) touching up the tattoo and b) getting a new one. Yep. Can't help thinking about it. After spending years deliberating during ages 15 to 19, I took the plunge in 1995 and got a beautiful blue-gray tattoo of a crescent moon and stars. My brother (with whom I was living) went ape-shit. My mother (with whom I was not living) was rather accepting, especially since the whole dealy fit under a quarter. Nowadays, very small, very meaningful tattoos are quite popular. My sister-in-law sports the script words "be the change you wish to see in the world" in fine black ink on her back, just under her ribs. I also remember fancying the tattoo of three dime-sized, five-pointed stars a saw on this one woman's back, perfectly evenly spaced out along her spine and only revealed by a backless top.

When I got my tattoo twelve years ago, I remember choosing blue-gray, because it was the closest thing I could get to silver. While metallic inks still aren't available to the skin-art crowd, there are other intriguing options on the market. Ultra-violet tattoo ink is available that is nearly invisible to the naked eye, but glows a brilliant bluish-white when under a black light (it FDA approved and has been tested for over ten years and semi-permanent tattoos can be zapped away with one lazer treatment.

0 sugar rushes:

Post a Comment