Monday, May 7, 2007

Shop Pop


It wouldn't be a blog about me without regular updates on fashion items I am obsessed with. I compulsively troll the online sale sections of Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters on a daily basis. I feel pretty bad about Urban Outfitters since most of their donations go to the Republican Party, but not so bad about Anthropologie since most of their donations go the opposite way even though the two are owned by the same company (in much the same way as Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic are). You too can wage war against the right with your wallet by buying "The Blue Pages: A Directory of Companies Rated by Their Politics and Practices".


Anthropologie uses a particularly insidious marketing technique by naming their styles with fanciful, gothic monikers that invoke an "I live in the Great Gatsby" sort of feeling in me. My long standing fetish with colored stockings began quietly after my fourteenth birthday after reading "Sons and Lovers" by D. H. Lawrence too many times. Hence, my current obsession with such Anthropologie items as their "Puddle Jumper Dress", "Aviatrix Cardigan", or "Stenographer's Blouse" whose styles I am not sure I even like, but whose names are to die for.

Take for instance their "Great Parlor Dress" shown below (Dress on undead, stick model shown on right).









Not only am I convinced that if I own this dress, I may one day own a "Great Parlor", but I've been having fantasies that wearing it will lead me to step out of this Erte drawing.

Ce' magnifique (say longingly with a little sad sigh).

0 sugar rushes:

Post a Comment